EMPTY BOWL project
This page wil contain all the information for the EMPTY BOWL project.
The Empty Bowls are a metaphor for the fact that after a meal, what is left is an empty bowl and across the world there are people who only have the empty bowl and not the meal. These projects will you be your charitable donation towards the fight to stop hunger in your own area in cooperation with a local Empty Bowl event.
Assignment: Student must make 1 pot formed over one of the hump molds and use any of the decorating techniques covered this semester and having the option to use pre-made sprigging made by the teacher. The student will receive either a passing of failing grade based upon completion with the teacher’s approval. Each student will then be responsible for a weekly blog assignment on the Empty Bowls project worth 25 points each. The blogging assignment is going to be evaluated based on your participation not on whether or not you get the right answer as there is not just one answer.
- Empty Bowls Project– as reviewed on the website www.emptybowls.net
- Blogging: A Web page that is frequently updated, usually with personal insights and Web links. Each blog entry is typically short and to the point, sometimes with a link to a longer, extended entry. The process of writing in a web based communication format.
- Hump Mold: The process of molding a slab of clay around the outside of a plaster mold to shape a pot.
- Complete Ceramic Idea Sheet.
- Wedge clay.
- Begin with a ball of clay and shape into a flatten piece.
- Use the slab roller to roll out a slab 1/2” thick.
- Pick up the slab of clay from the edge farthest from you and turn 90 degrees.
- Adjust the slab roller; roll out a slab no thinner than 3/8” thick.
- Take the slab to your table and mold over the plaster mold.
- Let the slabs dry to a slightly leather hard state or use a hair dryer to speed up the drying.
- Use a tool to remove the edges around the base of the mold.
- Gently remove the leather hard slab from the mold.
- Use slip and your finger to repair any blemishes.
- Alter the rim or add other features such as feet and handles.
- Add any other decorating you may wish.
- Once decoration has been finished, show to Mr. Shipley and let dry to bone dry.
- Place on firing cart for bisque firing. Due Date: _______________________.
Empty Bowls – Fighting the World of Hunger
The class will participate in the global fight against hunger and participate in a discussion about the Empty Bowls project. Each student will then be responsible for 3 weekly blog assignment on the Empty Bowls project. This assignment is going to be evaluated based on your participation not on whether or not you get the right answer as there is not just one answer.